Sunday, January 18, 2009

HEY


i designed this shirt in my senior year of high school. i mocked it up in photoshop and made flyers that i posted around school with my mock-up and the message "I WILL GIVE YOU FIVE DOLLARS PLUS COST IF YOU MAKE ME A SHIRT THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS. THIS IS NOT A JOKE." when i was getting them approved for posting the woman at the desk looked at the flyers for ten seconds, then back at me, and said "i don't get it." i didn't really see what was not to get, and i informed her of this opinion. she replied by asking me "is it a joke?"

okay. right at the bottom. in big letters. this is not a joke. i informed her that i did not know how to screen-print shirts but knew some teachers and students did and this was my way of reaching them. she denied my request. however, the generous teachers in the art department allowed me to post them only in their classrooms. so i still got it made. medium. gray. just how i like it. i had to print out the stencils and stuff but all the grunt work of it was done for me.

my creative process here was just that i wanted a shirt that could start conversations for me and skip the greeting process. its pretty useful for that.

the teacher that made it actually kept the stencil and made a shitload of HEY shirts in various colors and sizes and sold them to students as fundraising for the school. i was so pissed. i got him to discontinue this and destroy the stencil but there are still a bunch of former madison memorial high school students with like yellow or red or lime-green HEY shirts. which was not my creative intent. i'd still probably sell this shirt if i had a bunch of them. but only in that shade of gray. and i would adjust the size of the text for each size, because that's perfect for MEDIUM but if you want a large there's just way too much empty space there.

alright. i'm done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment